What Personal Data does the company collect?
For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Data” means information (whether stored electronically or in paper-based filing systems) relating to a living individual who can be identified from that data (or from that data and other information in our possession). Personal Data can be:
- Factual – such as a name, address, email, phone, or date of birth
- Sensitive – such as financial account information, protected health or medical details, or information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or similar beliefs, physical or mental health or condition, or sexual life; or
- Opinion – such as the results of a self-assessment test.
We may collect your Personal Data in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when you visit our Site, register on the Site, subscribe to our newsletter, respond to a survey, or in connection with the Company’s provision of services on your behalf.
We collect personal information that you enter on our Site or otherwise volunteer to us when you contact us to, among other things, request services or information. You can choose not to provide certain information when visiting our Site, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.
We collect only that Personal Data that is relevant for the purposes for which the data is requested. Miller Kaplan does not use your Personal Data in any way that is incompatible with the purposes for which it was collected or for which you have consented.
When your visit our Site or receive our services, Miller Kaplan may collect the following Personal Data:
Information you give us
When you request and receive our services, contact us through our Site, or correspond with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise, we may collect Personal Data including:
- contact information, such as name, address, email, and phone;
- financial information, such as credit card and account information, collected when you receive our services;
- identification information, such as social security number, taxpayer ID numbers, date of birth, gender, and the like;
- for those considering careers with Miller Kaplan, professional and personal information such as a resumé or C.V., salary history, education history, citizenship information, and position sought, as applicable;
- for current or prospective affiliates, suppliers, and subcontractors, personal information such as social security number, federal tax ID number, or other relevant information, as applicable.
When considering an individual for employment, additional Personal Data may be collected.
Information we collect about you
When you visit our Site, our web server automatically collects and stores the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, referring website address, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through, and from our site (including date and time), pages on our Site you viewed; page response times, download errors, duration of page visits, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
This information helps us improve our Site and facilitates your online experience when accessing our Site.
Information we receive from other sources
This is information we receive about you from third parties who operate other Sites or services we use to provide our products and services to you. We work closely with third parties, including, for example, business partners, promoters, affiliates, and sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, marketing analytics providers, promotions, and search information providers. We will notify you when we receive information about you from them and the purposes for which we intend to use that information.
How does the Company use Personal Data?
Information you give to us
We will use this information:
- To provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, or between you and our partners, affiliates, or distributors;
- To contact you in the future to provide you with information about other services or events we offer, or that are offered by our affiliates or third-party vendors;
- If you subscribe to our mailing list, to send you emails that include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc.;
- To notify you about changes to our service;
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- For prospective employees, to respond to your job application and process your CV.
Information we collect about you.
We will use this information:
- To administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical, and survey purposes;
- To improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
Information we receive from other sources.
We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Do we share your Personal Data with any third parties?
We do not sell, trade, or rent your Personal Data to others. The Personal Data you provide to us is shared only with authorized employees of Miller Kaplan, and on a limited basis, with vendors who supply information management services, and third parties in association with events. All such vendors and third parties use your Personal Data only on behalf of Miller Kaplan and under the instructions of Miller Kaplan on how your information may be used and processed. We take reasonable steps to ensure these third parties use your Personal Data only for the purposes for which they have been engaged by Miller Kaplan and that they agree to provide protections for your Personal Data that are no less protective than those set out in this Policy.
Access to your information is limited by need, and those who have access to the data have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of such information. Miller Kaplan may disclose personally identifiable information as may be required by subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process.
Additionally, we may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates, and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your Personal Data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets as part of the purchase, transfer, or sale of services or assets;
- If we sell all or substantially all of our assets to a third party, in which case personal information about our customers will be one of the transferred assets;
Whenever we share information with third parties, we will take steps to ensure that the third parties put in place adequate measures to safeguard your Personal Data, and they will be required to use any Personal Data for only the intended purpose for which it was shared.
Our storage of your Personal Data
We have adopted appropriate data collection, storage, and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your Personal Data, taking into due account the risks involved in the processing undertaken and the nature of the Personal Data we collect.
When you enter Personal Data on our Site, such communications are conducted using an SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.
We will keep your Personal Data for as long as we need it, or as otherwise prescribed by law, for the purposes set out above. This period will vary depending on your interactions with us. We may also keep a record of correspondence with you (for example if you have made a complaint about our services) for as long as is necessary to protect us from a legal claim.
You may unsubscribe from any of our newsletters, e-mail updates, or other marketing communications by following the unsubscribe instructions in the body of any e-mail message we have sent to you. We will take commercially reasonable steps to implement your unsubscribe requests promptly, but you may still receive promotional information from us by mail for up to 60 days, and up to 10 days for e-mail.
Please note that when you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.
Protecting children’s privacy
We are strongly committed to protecting the safety and privacy of children who visit our Site. Our Site is not designed nor is it intended to be used by children under 13, and in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Miller Kaplan will not knowingly collect or maintain any personally identifiable information from persons under the age of 13.
Additional Policies in Compliance with the EEA Privacy Laws
“Controller” means the Company which is the organization that determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any Personal Data is Processed and used in its business.
“Processor” means any Person Processing Personal Data.
“Person” means a natural person, corporation, association, organization, partnership, or other legal entity.
“Processing” is any activity that involves use of the Personal Data. It includes, without limitation, obtaining, recording, or holding the Personal Data, or carrying out any operation or set of operations on the Personal Data including organizing, amending, retrieving, using, disclosing, erasing, or destroying it. Processing also includes transferring Personal Data to third parties.
The legal basis for processing your Personal Data
In order to comply with the GDPR, we are required to set out the legal basis for the processing of your Personal Data. In accordance with the purposes for which we collect and use your Personal Data, as set out above, the legal basis for processing your Personal Data will typically be one of the following:
- our own legitimate business interests, or the legitimate business interests of our third-party partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors, and vendors, such as, for example, providing direct marketing to our customers of our products and services that we think would be of interest, permitting prospective employees to search and apply for job opportunities, handling inquiries from our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors, and vendors, or other instances where we have carried out a legitimate interests assessment and have established an existing legitimate interest;
- the performance of a contract that we have in place with you;
- your consent where appropriate; or
- compliance with our legal obligations, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Where we store your Personal Data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
How long we store your Personal Data
In some cases, there is a legal requirement to keep Personal Data for a minimum period of time. Except in those circumstances, we do not keep your Personal Data for any longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the Personal Data was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
Your rights with respect to your Personal Data
Subject to certain exceptions, you have the following rights with respect to your Personal Data:
- To receive or access a copy of the Personal Data that we hold about you;
- To request that any inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data be corrected or supplemented;
- To have your Personal Data erased, unless we have a legitimate reason to retain the Personal Data (such as if we are required to do so for legal reasons); and
- To object to our processing of your Personal Data for a particular purpose, including for marketing;
- To ask us to provide you your Personal Data in form that ensures it is easily transferable to another entity for processing;
All of these rights are subject to certain conditions and exemptions. For example, Miller Kaplan will not be obligated to erase your Personal Data if we need to retain it to protect ourselves in the event of a legal claim.
To exercise any of these rights, please submit a written request to us using the contact information set forth below. The Company reserves the right to charge a fee in dealing with such a request as permitted by applicable law and regulations. You may also opt out of receiving additional marketing information by using the unsubscribe feature in any marketing email we send you.
4123 Lankershim Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 91602
Updated January 2019