A tax exempt organization may need a letter to confirm its tax-exempt status or to reflect a change in its name or address.  If so, an organization may generally contact Customer Account Services by phone, letter, or fax to request an affirmation letter.

A letter or fax requesting an affirmation letter must include your organization’s

  • full name
  • Employer Identification Number and
  • authorized signature (an officer or trustee)

The individual signing the letter must state the capacity in which he or she is signing (for example, “John Smith, President”).

An organization may report a name or address change at the same time that it requests an affirmation letter.  If you are reporting a change of address, you may attach Form 8822-B, Change of Address – Business, or may report the change of address by phone, or in the body of the letter or fax requesting an affirmation letter.  A letter or fax reporting a change of address must be specific as to the change of address – a new address merely reflected in the letterhead of the correspondence will not suffice.  Please include in the letter or fax both your organization’s old address and its new address.

Contact Information:

You may get help with questions about tax-exempt organizations and tax-exempt status from the IRS Exempt Organizations Division:

EO Web Site [ www.irs.gov/eo]

IRS TE/GE Customer Service

You may direct technical and procedural questions concerning charities and other nonprofit organizations, including questions about your tax-exempt status and tax liability, to the IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities Customer Account Services at (877) 829-5500 (toll-free number).

If you prefer to write, you may write to:

Internal Revenue Service
Exempt Organizations Determinations
P.O. Box 2508
Cincinnati, OH 45201

You may also contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service, an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS and recommends changes that will prevent problems.




We highly recommend you confer with your Miller Kaplan advisor to understand your specific situation and how this impacts you.